Last updated: 23rd July 2015
Functions of the Ministry
- Preparation of schemes and co-ordination of national policy in respect of fisheries.
- Prevention and control of fish diseases.
- Utilization of fish and fish wastes and development of fisheries resources and fishing.
- Control, management and development of Government Fisheries which are under the development scheme of this Ministry and such other fisheries which will be included in future in the development scheme of the Ministry.
- Fish farms management and conservation of fish and other population of aquatic organisms of economic importance.
- Refrigeration and cold strorage facilities for fish.
- Improvement and augmentation of aquaculture and cultivation of pink pearls.
- All matters relating to Marine Fisheries including permission for acquisition, licensing and monitoring of operation of fishing vessels including Factory Ship.
- Fishing and fisheries beyond territorial waters (including deep sea fishing), fish harbour, fish quality-testing, laboratories and other ancillary organisations.
- Zoological research, zoological gardens and zoological surveys.
- Veterinary education (other than Agricultural University) and development of Animal Resources.
- Improvement of cattle wealth.
- Co-ordination and determination of standards in institutions of highter veterinary education (other than Agricultural University).
- Prevention and control of animal and poultry diseases.
- Poultry-Management of poultry farm, grading and quality control.
- Dairies-Management of cattle farm.
- Animal nutrition.
- Duckery-management of Duckery Farm, grading and quality control.
- Artificial insemination.
- Professions: veterinary practice.
- Prevention of cruelty to animals.
- Livestock census and cattle insurance.
- Planning Cell-Preparation of schemes and co-ordination in respect of fisheries and livestock.
- Research and training in fishery and livestock.
- Mechanised fishery and livestock operations.
- Participation in relevant internal conference, associations, other bodies and implementation of decisions made thereof.
- Administration of B.C.S (Fisheries).
- Administration of B.C.S (Livestock).
- Feasibility study on establishment of Fisheries and Livestock Farms before allocation of khas land by Ministry of Land.
- Utilisation of coastal land for Brakish water shrimp culture.
- Secretariat administration including financial matters.
- Administration and control of subordinate offices and organisation under this Ministry.
- Liaison with International Organizations and matters relating world bodies relating to subjects allotted to this Ministry.
- All laws on subject allotted to this Ministry.
- Inquiries and statistics on any of the subjects allotted to this Ministry.
- Fees in respect of any of the subjects allotted to this Ministry except fees taken in Courts.
Narayon Chandra Chanda, MP
Md. Maksudul Hasan Khan, Secretary